TOP TIPS FOR WINTER SKIN
Beauties, it’s cold outside!
Winter doesn’t have to mean dry, dull skin. While we’re all busy layering up and staying warm, it's so easy to forget that your skin needs a little extra TLC during the colder months too. A change of season and cold temperatures can wreak havoc with your skin as your skin goes through an adjustment phase.
COLD WEATHER AND YOUR SKIN
Your skin has a unique protective system called the ‘acid mantle barrier’, which is made up of oils, fatty acids, lactic acid, amino acids and your skin’s own natural moisturising factor. The acid mantle barrier creates a protective barrier on your skin, sealing in moisture and protecting your skin against infection.
HOW TO UPSET YOUR PROTECTIVE ACID MANTLE
When the winter chill creeps in it puts your ‘acid mantle barrier’ in jeopardy as your skin is faced with harsh dehydrating environmental factors such as...
- Cold temperatures outside
- Warm heating inside
- Decreased humidity in the air
- Cold wind
All these factors can cause your skin to become dehydrated, dry, dull and flakey. Keeping your skin properly hydrated, particularly in the colder months helps to keep your acid mantle barrier intact.
This is important for breakout prone skin as dehydration creates tiny cracks in this barrier, letting moisture out and bacteria in, leading to more breakouts.
Follow these MUST Know Do’s & Don’ts and those dreaded chapped lips and dry, dull skin won’t have to be your winter ritual.
- Hydrate from the inside – amp up your hydration and have an extra glass of water before bed to keep your skin hydrated from the inside while you sleep.
- Use a damp, clean face cloth to remove your cleanser, as it helps to gently exfoliate dead skin cells each day, making it easier for your hydrating products to absorb deeper into your skin.
- Catch up on your Beauty sleep, it’s in the deepest stages of sleep that your skin slips into ‘repair & rebuild’ mode, which is what gives you a healthy glow for the next day. Every hour before midnight is worth 2 hours of sleep after midnight!
- Once a week treat your skin to a hydrating sheet mask.
- Get in early - don't wait for bedtime to do your real-u 3-Step Program - do it as soon as you get home. This will give our skin-loving formula time to get working on repairing your skin way before bedtime.
- Avoid hot air blowing on your skin as it steals much needed moisture from your skin.
- No super-hot showers - while the heat from an evening shower may feel phenomenal on a chilly day, super-hot showers can further dry out and dehydrate your skin.
- Avoid licking your lips. Our lips get dry and our tongues naturally respond, however, saliva contains enzymes that help break down food and it has the same effect on the fragile skin on your lips. Also, as the saliva dries, it takes moisture with it, making your lips even more dry than they were before.
- Avoid clay masks as they draw out much needed moisture and nutrients from your skin.
- Avoid harsh cleansers as they can further dry out and dehydrate your skin. Instead, opt for a gentle, pH balanced cleanser such as real-u CLEANSE to keep your skin looking fresh and revitalised.