COLD WEATHER AND YOUR SKIN
When the winter chill creeps in it puts your skin's ‘acid mantle’ (your skin’s protective barrier) in jeopardy as your skin is faced with harsh dehydrating environmental factors such as...
- Cold temperatures outside
- Warm heating inside
- Decreased humidity in the air
- Cold wind
All these factors can cause your skin to become dehydrated, dry, dull and flakey. Keeping up your real-u 3-step routine and keeping your skin properly hydrated, particularly in the colder months, helps keep your acid mantle barrier balanced and intact. This is important for breakout prone skin as dehydration creates tiny cracks in this barrier, letting moisture out and acne causing bacteria in, leading to more breakouts.
Follow these MUST Know Do’s & Don’ts and those dreaded chapped lips and dry, dull skin won’t have to be your winter ritual.
- Hydrate from the inside: Amp up your hydration and have an extra glass of water before bed to keep your skin hydrated from the inside while you sleep.
- Use a damp, clean face cloth to remove your cleanser: As it helps to gently exfoliate dead skin cells each day, making it easier for your hydrating products to absorb deeper into your skin.
- Catch up on your Beauty sleep: It’s in the deepest stages of sleep that your skin slips into ‘repair & rebuild’ mode, which is what gives you a healthy glow for the next day. Every hour before midnight is worth 2 hours of sleep after midnight!
- Add extra hydration: Once a week treat your skin to a hydrating sheet mask.
- Get in early, don't wait for bedtime to do your real-u 3-Step Program: Do it as soon as you get home. This will give our skin-loving formula time to get working on repairing your skin way before bedtime.
- Avoid hot air blowing on your skin: As it steals much needed moisture from your skin.
- No super-hot showers: While the heat from an evening shower may feel phenomenal on a chilly day, super-hot showers can further dry out and dehydrate your skin.
- Avoid licking your lips: Our lips get dry and our tongues naturally respond, however, saliva contains enzymes that help break down food and it has the same effect on the fragile skin on your lips. Also, as the saliva dries, it takes moisture with it, making your lips even more dry than they were before.
- Avoid clay masks: As they draw out much needed moisture and nutrients from your skin.
- Avoid harsh cleansers: As they destroy your acid mantle barrier and further dry out and dehydrate your skin. Instead, opt for a gentle, pH balanced cleanser such as real-u CLEANSE to keep your skin’s protective barrier intact, and your skin feeling fresh and revitalised.
“Keep your healthy glow by giving your skin a little extra TLC during the colder months." – Ebony, Founder real-u Skincare.”