Face masks can protect us from many things, but unfortunately maskne (acne caused by wearing a mask) is not one of them! If you have ever worn a face mask, you will know how quickly your skin becomes warm from the moist air you're breathing out. This damp, enclosed environment is the ideal space for p-acnes bacteria to thrive and create havoc with your skin. A build-up of bacteria is one of the key causes of acne, so you’re far, far more likely to breakout after wearing a mask.
However, if you need to wear a mask, there are 6 things you can do to prevent maskne:
1. Apply a preventative Spot Treatment prior to wearing your mask to avoid any pimples from forming and to heal any existing blemishes.
2. Cleanse your face immediately after taking your mask off. Not only will this clean away any dirt or other unwanted nasties, it will also leave your skin feeling super fresh. Definitely a plus after wearing a mask all day!
3. Reapply a healing Spot Treatment to the area under the mask immediately after cleansing and prior to moisturising your skin.
4. Give your skin a break from wearing makeup, your skin already has enough to handle. Mascara is ok though!
5. Apply a healing, soothing sheet mask once a week - the more hydrated your skin is, the less likely you are to breakout.
6. Look for masks that use silk lining. Silk helps decrease skin’s moisture loss, has antimicrobial properties and is the less abrasive than other natural fibres making it ideal for sensitive and acne prone skin.
The most important thing you can do for your skin when wearing a mask is to make sure your skincare routine is gentle and full of antioxidants. This will help rebuild the health of your skin and keep your skin's protective barrier intact. Do not use any harsh or stripping products as this will damage your skin's precious protective barrier, which leads to an increase in sensitivity and breakouts. Your skin needs a chance to heal and repair and this is what your skincare routine should be focused on.
The #SKINFIT Kit is a great example of an acne-focused routine that is also good for the health of your skin. With its emphasis on strengthening and healing your skin, it’s perfect for soothing and clearing breakout-prone, irritated skin.